Saturday, June 4, 2011

Critical Thinking Blog Post #9

Over the course of this semester I have learned a few things about science and the humanities relating to one another.  I must admit that I had no clue what this course entailed when I registered for it.  All I knew was that I needed it to graduate.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this course had a chock full of interesting material like reading non fiction novels based on sciences- (Einstein's Dreams, Frankenstein).  Indeed my thinking about science and technology has changed in a way that I appreciate it more than ever and will pay more attention to it in the future.  I am more aware of the dangers that go along with science and technology.  I'm glad that I now know about the growing problem of e-waste because it will perhaps prevent me from continuously buying the latest, unnecessary gadgets on the market.  I've learned that making connections between science and the humanities helps me to understand science much more than before.  Before LIB 200 I was more of a humanities person, and I still am.  But I feel less intimidated and more curious about science and technology after taking this course.  I feel more pessimistic about science and technology because with new discoveries often comes perils.  We can see such a case with the most recognized scientist in the world, Albert Einstein for his famous equation E=mc squared.  Because of his work, the atomic bomb was able to be created.  The atom bomb is an extremely dangerous nuclear weapon and is capable of killing masses.  After this causes a lot of chaos in the world, Einstein feels very guilty for what his work has created.  I think the blog assignments were beneficial to understanding the readers better because they forced you to read.  It would be difficult to write a blog about a reading you didn't read!

No comments:

Post a Comment