Thursday, April 7, 2011

Critical Thinking Blog- Assignment #3

Picking a Reasearch Topic-I have a few ideas, but nothing set in stone yet.

1.  I have always been curious about scientist Stephen Hawking.  I've heard a thing or two about him, for instance how he is disabled to the point where he cannot produce his own speech or ambulate, and has written several brilliant books and lectures about the great questions of the universe. I think as human beings it is important for us to understand the universe-how it functions,when it began etc. I've honestly always been a bit intimidated by science, so I haven't thoroughly explored and researched Hawking and his ideas.  Our LIB 200 research paper gives me the opportunity to conduct my own research on Stephen Hawking, his discoveries, and challenges he may have faced during his career.
Professor Hawking, physicist and cosmologist takes on zero gravity aboard specially designed plane. His next goal is to travel into space to encourage space colonization.  Hawking believes, "the human race doesn't have a future if it doesn't go into space".
As debilitating and restricting Stephen Hawking's disease has on his life, he continues to inspire and provide us with thought provoking ideas about the universe and our existence
2.  Research Paper Idea #1 may be a good choice for me because it involves a 'close reading' and analysis of a literary work that uses science or technology.  I very much enjoy reading a good piece of literature, and as mentioned in idea #1, anything scientific tends to confuse me.  I already have a decent idea about Richard Dawkins's theory of The Selfish Gene and I have read the short story Us or Me, because I used these sources to write the "Portraying Science and Technology" essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment